7.02.2006

Hey, everybody! Watch the resident fuck up!

Today was my first day as a resident. If I've talked to you recently, you probably know that I matched to Family Medicine (not quite Emergency, I know, I know...) here in Edmonton. If I haven't talked to you recently, we should chat, guy.


I started my rotations with Emerg at the University hospital - at 6 am, on the day after Canada Day. I was, of course, nervous beyond belief the night before. If I could put a finger on it, I'd say it was akin to that combination of excitement, joy, and gut-wrenching nauseating fear that you just won't be good enough that you feel right before you lose your cherry.

Or was that just me?

I couldn't sleep last night. I went to bed early - couldn't sleep through the fireworks. Shit, I missed the fireworks. I set my alarm to wake me early - 4:15, so I'd have plenty of time to wake up and prepare myself. The fact that it's cockmeltingly hot (that phrase is copyrighted, by the way) in my apartment didn't help. Finally I managed to pass out around 1:15.

When I woke up, it wasn't to the sound of my alarm for once. I think the sun reflecting off the opposite building was what got me up. And a good thing, too, because I woke up at 6:20 - 20 minutes AFTER my shift began. My initial response, of course, was SHIT SHIT SHIT MOTHERFUCKER. My next thought was that I'd set the alarm to 4:16 PM like the retard that I am. My next thought was that, someday, I'll look back on this and laugh.

Today is not yet that day.

Fortunately, I had a fairly easygoing staff doc the first day. He was, surprisingly, OK with my display of raw unprofessionalism. And, fortunately, I didn't cock up too bad on any of my patients. Yay.

In other news I passed all my exams, went to Spain for a month, became a doctor and also bought a condo. Life, she keeps you busy. And I wonder why I don't have time to clean my room...

1 Comments:

Blogger Sofi said...

"Cockmeltingly hot" made me laugh for like half an hour.

You set your alarm to PM? And you're going to possibly be performing life-or-death SURGERY on people?

Sweet Jesus fuck.

8:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home